Dick,

I apologize for asking two questions right away, but things just happened.

The question is, How does Highly Human job creation apply to a business meeting where your reputation and ADVANCEMENT is at stake?

Our office was just informed a Level 2 guy will bring a Level 3 guy to our office for 'discussions' and 'to meet people'. This is a prime opportunity for company advancement, which I see as every bit as good as a new job. I need to create an 'advancement' in one brief meeting, under short notice. 

You only get so much face time with an important executive traveling between multiple offices. I see it that I have to make the  most of even the slightest meeting to plant a seed in them about ME. Because I have never met them, I do not know whether to lean on my human side, or the technical side, or what. I would appreciate some advice, in what amounts to an elevator sales pitch to an executive job creator, on both what to prepare, as well as what to avoid. 

Your humble, but avid reader,

Gordon Alexander

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon, your best bet is to relate to the Level 2 and 3 guys as humanly and naturally as possible, but ONLY as your best, most confident self -- unlike Barack Obama in the first Presidential debate (2012).

Body language is vital. Do the opposite of what Obama did the other night.

Present your A-game face, posture, movement, verbal interaction. Get reach by rehearsing. Practice good form in advance. See this video for pointers: http://highlyhumanjobs.ning.com/profiles/blogs/body-language-can-tr....

Watching it a few times, and doing the "exercises," could be one of your best time investments ever.

WHAT you say is also important, of course, as is what they say -- beyond body language. Be sure to listen to these key people, even draw them out with questions. Show that you understand them, and then respond appropriately and assertively, avoiding both subservience and arrogance. 

The 'big-wigs- came and went and I was shining like a beacon.

I took the advice and dressed up just to at least look my best and professional. Listening was paramount before speaking for the most part. It just so happens that there were changes in the upper management and these guys showed up to check out possibilities for filling some new holes in the company. I had a most-super power point prepared [you laugh!] but it was very well received and passed on to management to show what someone did on their own. Small preparations, presented at the right moment was my ace. I took good opportunity to present my personality and job knowledge at a critical time. Thank you for the inspiration.

Dick Samson said:

Gordon, your best bet is to relate to the Level 2 and 3 guys as humanly and naturally as possible, but ONLY as your best, most confident self -- unlike Barack Obama in the first Presidential debate (2012).

Body language is vital. Do the opposite of what Obama did the other night.

Present your A-game face, posture, movement, verbal interaction. Get reach by rehearsing. Practice good form in advance. See this video for pointers: http://highlyhumanjobs.ning.com/profiles/blogs/body-language-can-tr....

Watching it a few times, and doing the "exercises," could be one of your best time investments ever.

WHAT you say is also important, of course, as is what they say -- beyond body language. Be sure to listen to these key people, even draw them out with questions. Show that you understand them, and then respond appropriately and assertively, avoiding both subservience and arrogance. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dick Samson.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service